Lower Johnson Street housed the ‘other’ side of Victoria, dividing it from the ‘Olde English’ style that the city was perceived. No garden parties or cricket in the “Old Town”. The other side of the tracks consisted of the Occidental new immigrants and the Oriental; the working class, the red light district, opium dens and saloons. The upper class British and Irish never came to this part of town except to do business (unless under cover of darkness). Up until a new by law was passed in 1894, there was also a herd of pigs housed on the 600 block of Johnson Street.