In the 1860’s and 70’s a terrible recession occurred during which many of the buildings in the Old Town decayed. The 1880’s brought prosperity again; salmon, coal, seal skin and lumber much in demand on the worldwide market. New buildings were built mostly by the prosperous Bossi family to house offices, shops, and the growing population which later became Market Square. Market Square represents the earliest masonry in the city and was built in the Italianate style which was popular in Europe in the l9th century. The walkways were cobblestone and the gate was made with iron. The courtyard covered the ravine that divided Chinatown and Old town which made the architecture on the Cormorant (now Pandora) side very different than the Johnson street side. The square was refurbished by the Bawlf Brothers in the l970’s.